Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tip Share

A recent incident has been brought to my attention, first because my best friend works in the labor department in Helena and second it was brought to my attention because it concerns the place that I have been employed for four years. The article is about tip sharing in the restaurant industry.  Apparently it's actually illegal for management to make you share your tips with other people in the restaurant. I have mixed feelings about this; I don't mind tipping out the people who helped me at the end of the night, I mean they worked just as hard as me, so why shouldn't they get tipped out a little. On the other hand I don't agree with the fact that your tips are being garnished because other employees are getting paid minimal wage and your tips helps to even that out. It's a scandalised way to avoid paying employees that are not waiters or waitress more than minimal wage. It's funny how it's suppose to be your choice if you want to tip out or not, but if you don't, it's a known fact that you will be fired. I am more than willing to help out the people who help me but it sure does make you skeptical of the business practice when your tip outs are to even out fellow co-workers wages.

No comments:

Post a Comment